Friday, April 19, 2013

I used to love him, Now I love. . .



I believe that women are sucked into patriarchy unconsciously at a very young age and often struggle with the idea of whether it is right or wrong. Utley uses the rhetorical strategy of informing and explaining for support.(EXPLAIN WHAT THOSE ARE) We are instantly given barbie and baby-dolls when were young, trying to make happy little homes before we know what they even know what they are. I wish society and parents would focus more on their children loving themselves first rather than other people. it may sound a bit selfish but the saying you cant love anybody until you love yourself is true!! I think it is more healthy to have a good relationship with the person you spend the most time with a.k.a yourself!
 I found the idea in a section of Ebony Utley’s talk where she analyzed Lauren Hill’s song “I used to love him” to be extremely eye opening, she analyzed the song in a way that I would have never thought to do. Her attention to detail and her ability to make connections and metaphors are amazing.
Utley noticed the relevance of the ocean and the sand in Lauren hill’s song, the ocean beats up and forcefully shapes the sand on a regular basis and can be violent and destructive at times. Initially I didn’t take the metaphor for the water and sand to be negative, I thought that the ocean could be Lauren’s never ending protector and she was always close to that protection because she was the sand in the situation. I guess its more a matter of perspective.
  To get your own perspective of the song and its meaning listen to this link below and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment