Friday, April 19, 2013

As pretty as a Rose





Bertha Rose WilliamsI had the pleasure of having a guest speaker in my English class this semester named Rose Williams, she is an administrative secretary at South Western College and she shared with us her journey through segregation as a child to attending the first and second inauguration of our president Barack Obama.

 Everything was remarkable about Rose William’s presentation, she had such honesty and humbleness about the ways she talked with us she even got emotional about the hardships she has had to endure. I was really taken back with her story and it really made me realize all the everyday things I take for granted. For example being able to use any drinking fountain and restroom, going to a college that allows many different races to attend and that all the segregation laws have been abolished in my state and even being having equal rights to get a job.
 Many mornings when I don’t want to get up for school and then I have to think about how many historians  got up early in the morning to make a change so I would even be allowed to go to school as both an African American person and a woman. Taking into account that I’m not a morning person I just have to put myself in the right mind frame to get up and do what I need to do. 
Rose really opened up my eyes to how naive many people in my generation are about education, there all just looking for quick money and things they can flash and show off. The most memorable thing she said was “If you have a fear or anger deal with it and get over it” so many people of my generation are so upset and angry at the world for one reason or another it’s really just a big waste of energy and talent on their part. I was just in love with this quote and its brutal honesty. I will forever apply it to my life when I am having a conflict of just having a hard time in life and I hope you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment